When You Need to Lose Weight for Your Heart
It’s time to show your heart some love. When your doctor says you need to lose weight for the sake of your heart, start with a plan.
Set realistic goals. Come up with an eating plan that works for you and one that you can stick to.
Use these 10 tips to help you stay motivated.
1. Put your motivation in writing. Keep in mind why you want to lose weight. Note the difference it will make to your heart, the rest of your body, and your mood. Keep it handy, so you can read it when you need inspiration.
2. Believe in yourself. Expect to be successful. A good attitude toward weight loss and good health is key. If things get tough, reach out to a dieting buddy or a sympathetic friend or family member for encouragement.
3. Weigh yourself every day. If you see the number on the scale rise, do something to stop that trend. Move more, check your food portions, and remind yourself of the difference it makes.
4. Celebrate your successes. Give yourself credit for the pounds you lose. Remember how far you’ve come. Keep an old photo of yourself to remind you of the progress you have made.
5. Manage your splurges. If you really want a big piece of pie as an occasional treat, be sure you cut down on calories somewhere else or spend more time working out.
6. Keep a record. Write down what you eat every day and how much exercise you are getting. Read your notes regularly. This can really help. It’s a proven way to lose weight.
7. Watch your portions. The more you put on your plate, the more you will eat. Go easy on rich, high-calorie food. Help yourself to larger portions of vegetables, salads, and broth-based soups.
8. Make time for fitness. Physical activity burns calories and relieves stress. If your schedule is tight or you miss an exercise session, think about how you can make up for it. Take 10-minute breaks throughout the day to walk around the block. Use your jump rope. Use a pedometer to see how many steps you take and how many more you can add.
9. Enjoy how you feel. As you lose weight and exercise, you'll probably feel better than you did before. You may also find you sleep better and have more energy. Even losing just a few pounds can do wonders for your body and your outlook. Let that progress inspire you to keep going.
10. Take charge of your cravings. If you really crave something sweet, try a small portion. Eat it slowly, savor every bite, and resist the urge to reach for more. A piece of sugarless gum can often satisfy your craving for something sweet.
Sign Up Now